8 slices of brown bread - cut each into 2 regular pieces
¼ cup gram lentils (channa dal)
¼ cup dhuli urad dal
2 tbsp oil
½ tsp mustard seeds (rai)
1 small onion - finely chopped
1 small potato - boiled and grated
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
½ tsp ginger paste
¾ tsp salt
1. Soak dals overnight. Drain.
2. Grind the dals together to a fine paste.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. After they stop spluttering, add onion and cook onion till golden.
4. Now add the dals and keep stirring for about 6-8 minutes till absolutely dry and crumbly.
5. Add ginger, potato, coriander and salt. Mix thoroughly and stir to mix well. Remove from fire and allow to cool. Add 2 tbsp water to make it of spreading consistency.
6. Now spread the mixture evenly on each bread slice.
8. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, swirl to coat the pan well. Put 2 pieces of bread at a time in oil with the dal side in oil first. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Turn over and cook the other side also. Cut into 2 pieces to serve.